VISIT MY NEW TRAVEL BLOG AT www.xanga.com/jeffrysky

Sunday, March 05, 2006

A Day of Solo Cycling ..

It was like a nice and sunny day today , and instead of watching the usual string of CSI episodes , I decided to pack my bike into my car and speed down to Changi Coast Road for a solo cycling session. I also wanted to get some nice views of aircraft movements in Changi on my new Fuji F11.

The weather was like superb for cycling -- the wind was strong and the breeze was ultimately refreshing. As I cycled through a forested area in the remote part of Changi Beach , there was this coolness in the air despite the heavy loads of sunshine pouring in through the trees.

I then cycled off the Changi Beach park , and onto the road ( my father is sure to nag at me for this ) .. My aim was to cycle straight down Changi Coast Road , parallel to the runway , right to the end of the runway and to the Tanah Merah ferry terminal. No big deal .. I have seen many cyclists cycling this stretch , though they look like they were those pro' kind , decked in all sorts of Star Wars droid-like gear. One thing that freaked me once about this place , was the occasional sight of joss-sticks along the road , when I was driving past this stretch. Thankfully I didn't see any ominous things.

There were a lot of ang mohs who were also cycling too , so I didn't feel too out of place cycling amidst the steam of heavy trucks and lorries speeding just inches away from me. Nevertheless , I wondered why cyclists cycled with the flow of traffic , when it seemed better that I cycle straight on against the flow of traffic. Maybe it is because rumour has it that at night , there were motorists who were freaked out when they spotted a faceless cyclist cycling past their cars. So maybe the logic has it that , if you don't have face, then don't bother showing it.

Of course being a cyclist has its pros. The police won't bug you about you stopping by the runway fence because it is understandable you may need to stop for a rest or a drink. Whereas those families with kids in tow , who came in their cars for a little outing to the airport , were quickly unceremoniously shoo-ed away by the police cars. Ahh .. but of course you must make sure you don't reveal that you have a camera ( phone cam included ) otherwise you can expect questions aplenty from Constable Mohd Izwan et al ..

Cycled at least 4 legs up and down the runway .. by the time I got back to the car,my legs felt really whacked out but surprisingly I felt pretty good . Sticky but good. At last, another activity to do during the weekend besides watching Inspector Nick Stokes acting pretty on CSI.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home