VISIT MY NEW TRAVEL BLOG AT www.xanga.com/jeffrysky

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Dragging My Feet Through Paediatrics

It was like of a super "chau sian" feeling to have to go back for the last posting of the M4 academic year before Pathology exam. Even more sian was the fact that the break we had after the posting was meant for a continuous non-stop mugging session for the humongous Pathology exam we had ahead of us. Not to mention after the wonderful holidays , it was time to work with 'Ah Nao' again . urgh. So it was of course with a lot of dreariness that I had to wake up early on a Monday morning to go for the Paeds briefing.

I have never felt so long in a posting before .. it was like a couple of cursory lectures which didn't really teach much , and we were like plunged into the wards. There was no objective and structured teaching programme implemented in the first week unlike Ortho and O&G. I love playing with kids a lot , especially my nephew , but it was like super weary having to force out differential diagnoses from these young ones .. 4 CGs were cramming into the little Ward 47 , and the new house officers didn't look pleased either. So basically I have no idea what to do , but I guess the previous batch's advice was just to let your survival instincts step in. What a way to start the new year.

PLUS the fact I was like having this perpetual tummy upset since the HK Trip and the oyster buffet I had with CT and Lil' on 30th December 2005. It was like this constant feeling of bloatedness with like a mega degree of flatulence (I reckon the amount of gas I passed is suffice to inflate Richard Branson's hot air balloon for his next RTW trip .. ) and loose stools. I even got up in the middle of the night at 3 am ( when I had to wake up at 7 am the next morning for some crummy X ray Round , thanks a lot ) just to go to the loo. I do not know what struck me , but somehow I feel that I am not the same James I used to be. The same James which could easily phagocytose the most exotic of meals like goose intestines or ox tongue. Somehow I still have a tremendous craving for food , but my gut seems to have gone awry.

What made me even more super-pissed was this bitch of an auntie who actually taunted me and called me a liar in the NUH canteen in front of god knows how many professors and staff there. I had ordered a lamb chop with my NUH Kopitiam card, attempted to charge it but the value was insufficient. I promptly topped it up ,and returned to pay for the lamb chop. Moments later, Zonghan came over to ask me to get a chicken wing for him .. at that point, I was actually feeling not too good -- kinda nauseous and my tummy was rumbling. So I reckon eating a chicken wing myself might help ( what kind of logic is this ???! God save me ). So I asked the auntie to charge an extra 2 bucks for the 2 chicken wings. To my horror, she inputted the cost of a lamb chop = 5 bucks + 2 bucks for the chicken wings. I told her that she had already charged me for the lamb chop just 2-3 minutes earlier. She insisted that I had not paid , as my card didn't have value in it. She started to accuse me of telling a lie and as I was ransacking my wallet for the receipt , she started to taunt me. I suddenly remembered I had thrown the receipt into Henry's tray and rushed back. Henry , being in an absence seizure as usual, muttered Cunli cleared the tray. Thankfully Cunli did not empty the trash on the tray for I found my receipt and marched back to the Western food stall.

I sternly told the lady off not to accuse people without any evidence, and her apology was this totally unsincere "Sorry lor !". I nearly lost it but as Cunli always reminded me from my O and G times to "relax ... don't worry" Zen-master style.

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Plus the fact I spent 285 bucks on a new Emporio Armani specs . I am BROKE !

This was definitely a bad week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home