VISIT MY NEW TRAVEL BLOG AT www.xanga.com/jeffrysky

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Day of Errands

It was a cold , rainy and miserable day .. and "Tong Lei" by Sun Yan Zi was the most appropriate song playing on my speakers right now. I hate doing errands !!


I drove all the way to Paya Ubi Industrial Park , a drab and massive industrial building tucked away from humanity together with some Maha Bodhi School in the inner bowels of Eunos. After spiralling inside the building, I finally found Lozon Inc. , where I spent 15 bucks on the new diaphragm to convert my stethoscope bell-side to a paediatric 'scope. The man at the counter was all so genial, and told me that "this was the clinic for my stethoscope". He also gave some strange tips about pressing the diaphragm harder to get the effect of the bell to hear low-pitched murmurs. But the thing is that I can't even hear low-pitched murmurs with the bell ho ho...


Since I was in the far east of Singapore, I drove ahead to the Metro Warehouse Sale in Expo. It was full of really drab stuff a la those found in Shenzhen, nothing trendy or catchy to the eye. This is the first time I have heard of Gioven Klein or some weird pseudo-branded stuff. But I did pick up some cheap baby clothing for my 7-month old nephew waiting at home. I particularly liked this orange hooded jacket which was just going for 10 bucks ! WHEW !


I went to town to do my usual inspection of the sales going on. I picked up a Sun Yan Zi "To Be Continued" CD at HMV because I loved the song "Shen Qi" so much.. I was excited that there was a VCD inside as well so I could practise the Shen Qi dance moves. I popped over to G2000 in Raffles City, where I just couldn't resist buying some fancy striped pants which was marked down 50% from the original price of 120 bucks. Oh no .. i am really broke now...


I compared some prices between Hong Kong and Singapore, and as I expected, Singapore was still the number 1 shopping hub for most things in general. E.g. G2000 , despite being a HK brand, was retailing with massive discounts in Singapore, while the HK/China were just having some humble 20-30% discounts off their pants. E.g. ESPRIT - the noticeable difference was that they didn't have as much winterwear v.s. Hong Kong presumably because of the differences in climate. In fact the orange jacket in ESPRIT was selling about 10 dollars more expensive in Singapore, but the rest of the office clothes were still very much cheaper in Singapore. Perfumes and cosmetics in general were either the same price or slightly cheaper v.s. the perfumes in Hong Kong airport. The moral of the story is ? KNOW YOUR PRICES before you buy overseas .. sometimes happiness can be found in your own backyard...
I was a bit disappointed that the VCD in the Sun Yan Zi package was only that of her concert tour when I wanted the original MVs.. I spent like 3-4 hours finding the original "Shen Qi" MV on the net , and was so glad that I finally managed to rip off a copy from one of the video streams on the China sites. Just LOVE Sun Yan Zi man ! The "Shen Qi" video was so cool as well ..


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home